How to Over Promise & Over Deliver With Rick Barrera
[text_block style=”style_1.png” align=”left”]Customers, above all else, are people. Sadly, many salespeople and marketers forget this. Many businesses need to take a step back and realize that they need to consider a client’s values, beliefs, and context when serving them. That’s where collaborative selling comes in.
In this episode, Rick Barrera shares his experiences as a marketing consultant. He talks about his many adventures getting into sales and how he realized the importance of collaboration in business. He also emphasizes that there is still room for community-building and cooperation in a culture that esteems independence. Join us and learn more about the art of collaborative selling.
About Our Guest:
Rick Barrera is a nationally acclaimed speaker and marketing consultant. Fortune 500 companies know him because of his published works that tackle his unique approach to brand building, such as “Non-Manipulative Selling.” He works with companies to redesign their systems and promotes a holistic approach to serving clients.
How to Use Collaboration in Sales and Marketing
- He grew up in Derek, Pennsylvania as the youngest of five kids.
- His hometown knows him as the boy who always has something to sell, such as seeds and Christmas cards.
- He applied for a job of selling newspaper subscriptions as early as 16 years old.
- His career officially started in college while making sales.
- He found a sales training franchise and worked on finishing his degree.
Biggest Challenge in Sales
- The biggest problem Rick found in sales was learning how to help people come to a decision without manipulating them.
- He says salespeople tend to sell products without learning about the client’s wants and needs.
- He believes that prescription without diagnosis is malpractice.
- Retail is more than selling products. It entails becoming personal and relationship-focused.
Collaborative Selling as a Solution
- Ask about the issues and context of a company before giving them suggestions on what to sell.
- Collaboration helps build trust and commitment with the clientele.
- Do not start the collaboration process until the client asks for help.
- Collaboration phase: sitting side by side and co-creating a solution.
- Focus on someone willing to undergo collaboration and let go of those who don’t.
Implications on Company Services
- Does collaboration impede the company’s ability to have a standard service offering? It depends on the business.
- You can opt to have products and services with multiple levels of customization.
- Prices vary based on the level of customization.
- Companies have multiple products that cater to different needs.
Collaborative Selling and Value-Building
- CS is not about finding facts already known in a company organization. It’s really about aligning with your values, feelings, and goals.
- Goal: how can I bring value to this person?
- Value-building helps build a better long term relationship out of this person because there’s just such a stable foundation to it.
Cooperative and Supportive Entrepreneurial Community
- Rick experienced living in a supportive community that helped each other during winter and times of crisis.
- California is a place to be independent; thus, the culture may be more selfish.
- There is a need for a change in pace, creating a community that is more cooperative and supportive of one another.
Being Good at Being Interested
- Interest helps build rapport and trust.
- Treat the person as a person and make them feel helped and understood.
How to Do More Collaborative Selling
- Start with questions. It’s better to be prepared and have a checklist of things to ask when talking to clients.
- Ask follow up questions to understand their values, feelings, goals, beliefs, obstacles, and ideas.
- Work through personal thoughts that may be distracting them before you try to speak on the same level (about marketing). If you’re not in sync, you are not going to get the sale.
- Set a time to sit side by side and co-create a solution.
- It requires discipline and guts to do that.
Internet Marketing vs. Selling
- Online marketing is preferred since it takes away face-to-face interaction with clients. However, that isn’t where the money is.
- One is more likely to make a significant sale on the phone rather than the Internet.
- Marketing is a way to scale one-on-one sales presentations and replicate that to more customers.
- Nevertheless, it’s not about choosing one or the other; it’s about having the tools and utilizing them both.
- Even creating a standard sales letter would mean knocking on 100 doors to find out the context of the clients involved
- Sales team – trying to get the best conversation with their ideal clients and do it with everyone.
- Incredibly successful people have built a community over time that aligns with their point of view
Marketing and Humanities
- Anthropologists in the field of marketing study to understand human beings and how they work in thinking, believing, and interacting.
- Marketing is also a psychology experiment, measuring the difference between what people say and what they do.
- Everything is an experiment. We need more data to learn about our methods and refine it as we go along.
For more insights about Pinterest marketing, connect with Rick through Over Promise and Over Deliver’s site.
- Do you already have a successful business, meaning you’re up, running, and paying your bills with some profit left over?
- Are you interested in growing your business, automating/streamlining things, and staying one step ahead of your competition?
- Do you want to achieve your goals, get more things done in less time, and double your sales? Sign up for our 21-Day Double Your Sales Challenge.
? If you can answer YES to all three questions, please reach out to me through Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/daryl.urbanski, and describe your situation, goals, and the best time/way to contact you.[/text_block]
[op_liveeditor_element data-style=””][text_block style=”undefined” align=”left”]My mission is to create 200 new multi-millionaire business owners who solve world problems with entrepreneurship. How? You’ll do better when you know better.
Would it help you to talk to other high-level entrepreneurs about their journeys, their mistakes and how they overcame their challenges to create the lives and financial success they desire?
Would it help you to have a mentor who can cut your learning curve by sharing their mistakes with you so you could avoid them?
Would it help you to talk to that mentor and learn how they shifted their mindset to allow success to happen in the first place?[/text_block][/op_liveeditor_element]
I love this Podcast Big Time!!!! Excellent I am loving this Podcast! Daryl is the man when it comes to building strong, leveraged businessess. it’s obvious that he knows exactly what to do and isn’t shy about sharing the details with the rest of us. i ‘ll be listening to every episode. Thank you So Much!
– Sara Alison Christensen
Masterful This is one of the best business podcast I’ve heard in a long time. The content is always amazing, and the value to business owners is second to none. I highly recommend you check it out.
Fresh and Powerful The name Daryl Urbanski Keeps popping in the marketing realm lately, and its a no brainer why. Urbanski has pure talent when it comes to helping entrepreneurs and their businesses achieve success in very high numbers. These pod casts are nothing short of amazing as daryl, with the help of others, share their knowledge about success through their own personal stories. I can’t wait until the next one is released.
Real Value Added Interviews! The BestBusiness Podcast is changing my life. While listening to Daryl interview Jim Bunch I stopped on the side of the interstate (in safe spot) dropped down and counted off 10 push ups! I’m all in and following Daryl Urbanski…
– Publish ME NOW
Wow! What an inspiring mission I love this Podcast and am excited to hear more episodes. Great content!
Really is The Best Business Podcast! Daryl Urbanski and his guests get right to the ‘real’ business issues of structure, strategy, system, mindset, work ethics, and what works (and what doesn’t) in building, running and scaling a successful and sustainable business. Definitely worth subscribing and listening to ALL The Best Business Podcasts!
Too good to miss! I was listening to the episode with Daryl Urbanski & Jermaine Griggs in my office yesterday. It was so good that a woman who works for me she didn’t want to leave when it was time for her to get off of work because she didn’t want to miss anything! Yes it is really that good. Do yourself a favor and Press play! I’m excited because I plan on being one of the 200!
– LT in Atlanta
Your Favorite Entrepreneur’s Favorite Entrepreneur Daryl Urbanski brings his high octane approach to marketing and entrepreneurship to this must-hear podcast and breaks it down for the rest of us. Whether rattling off an analogy or quote from the technical marketing book that I wish I read or breaking down complex concepts into digestible instructions, this podcast will add a cheat code-ish boost to your business and personal development. Also, if the Jermaine Griggs interview Doesn’t inspire you to stay up all night working on your business.
Daryl is Awesome Daryl is one of my very favorite people and one of the smartest people I Know. These podcasts are great – he asks smart question and the conversations are great. Definitely a must-listen!
Valuable Content A great Place to learn how to raise the level of your business game. Excellent content and guests. Kudos to Daryl for bringing this value to the business space.
– D Egge
Conversational, Inspirational, Educational I love the organic conversation, packed full of value! Thanks Daryl for all you do!
Love this podcast Daryl’s accessible easy going style works well to make an easy to listen to podcast. It’s great to listen to a business podcast with leaders who don’t sound like they’re over-caffeinated for a change and with out being barraged by ads. Pure content in a friendly format.
Great podcast Love podcasts as this one ? Daryl create and amazing The Best Business Podcast. Subscribed.
– Ana Melikian
Truly Informative When it comes to podcasts, this is one of the most informative podcasts I have ever heard. All of the stories are really relatable, how they got into the business is inspiring and most of the ways they did get into the business aren’t very hard unless you are extremely lazy.
Business Genius This podcast is awesome if you want to learn and be motivated to be a business man or woman! What Daryl talks about and values about business is great and I have learned a lot from listening to his podcast! The way he simplifies and highlighted all the important aesthetics of what a business should be is something I haven’t heard a lot of. Thank for the great insight!
Just Heard the first episode and I am hooked In this podcast Daryl shares the best kept business and marketing secrets!
Love this Show I am a podcast junkie and this one really hits the mark. Great Daryl!
Full of Actionable steps to transform any business I’m loving this podcast! It’s amazing hearing the advice of so many highly successful entrepreneurs from different backgrounds and industries – and how applicable their advice is to any business. Subscribed and listen to it during every commute. Highly Recommend it!
Very interesting and awesome podcast! Can’t wait for more!
If you are a Marketer you need to listen up
I have listened to almost all the episodes and the value that Daryl provides is priceless! I have pages of notes from his interviews and have implemented strategies and tactics that have already started to help my business grow. You need to check it out.
Great podcast! An informative laid back approach to business!! I have thoroughly enjoyed the guest speakers and topics!
Sound knowledge and a pleasure to listen to.
– Salma’s IPhone